The World Customs Organization seeks conference interpreter with French mother tongue
Brussels-based WCO announces opening for a French-speaking conference interpreter also able to translate from both English and Spanish.
Post : Senior Interpreter/Translator
Conference Interpreter with French mother tongue, English A or B and Spanish C for interpretation from English to French, French to English and Spanish to French and for translation from English to French and from Spanish to French.
Grade : L4 (Co-ordinated Organisations’ scale)
Location : Brussels
Assignment and objective of the post
This post is located in the Division of Administration and Personnel, Interpretation Service. The incumbent is responsible for providing competent and accurate interpretation, whether simultaneous or consecutive, as well as translations as required.
Job control and job specific working conditions
The work is done independently to a programme overseen by the Head of Administration and Personnel, and in accordance with general instructions.
The working hours are governed as appropriate by the WCO Staff Manual. As regards the interpreter’s workload during meeting days, the following additional provisions shall apply :
- Each interpreter’s workday shall comprise a maximum of two sessions of between 3 hours and 3 ½ hours each, starting from the time from which the meeting is convened.
- Each session may be split into two parts.
- Interprets, consecutively or simultaneously, from French to English and from English to French, statements and speeches made in those two languages at meetings of the Council, Policy Commission and of Committees and Working Parties/Working Groups dealing with very technical or very varied questions. May interpret confidential talks between individuals.
- Recruits freelance interpreters and makes sure that they receive the relevant documents enabling them to prepare for the meetings they have been assigned to.
- Ensures that he/she keeps himself/herself fully informed of the work of the Organization to maintain his/her knowledge of the specialised terminology; contributes to maintenance of the Interpretation Service documentation.
- For specific meetings, interprets from Spanish into French.
- Translates texts from English and Spanish to French and may carry out linguistic checking of texts drafted in French by non-native speakers. Studies the original text to master its meaning and translates it faithfully into the other language, taking care to preserve the spirit and shades of meaning. In case of doubt, consults the authors of the text. Revises and edits text in his/her mother tongue (French).
- The person appointed will also be required to perform such other duties as may be assigned and may be subject to reassignment within the WCO Secretariat. He/she is expected to show flexibility in this regard.
- The successful candidate will have French as his/her mother tongue. He/she must be in possession of a university degree or a diploma from an interpreters’ school, or equivalent professional qualifications, and master English and French. He/she must also be able to interpret from Spanish. Good knowledge of other languages (such as Russian, Arabic or Portuguese) may be an asset.
- He/she must have broad understanding of international trade and must possess good computing skills and knowledge of CAT tools such as SDL Trados.
- The successful candidate will be expected to have at least five years of professional experience as a conference interpreter and translator within or for an international organisation and, if possible, good knowledge of the activities of the WCO.
How to apply
Please apply, enclosing a detailed curriculum vitae, to the following e-mail address by 16 June 2017: WCOINTVacancy@amm3a.wcoomd.org