IMF announces opening for Head of Language Services
The successful candidate will oversee the management of the division which provides interpretation, translation, translation-related, and editorial services.
Type of position: Staff, Term
Job Location: Washington, DC, USA
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is hiring a forward-looking leader to head its Language Services of the Corporate Services and Facilities Department (CSF) in the IMF headquarters located in Washington, D.C.
To apply for the position, please visit the IMF JobLink page and search for job number 1700550 (Division Chief/Assistant Director - CSF).
Under the supervision and guidance of the CSF Deputy Director, the incumbent will oversee Language Services (LS). As the head of LS, the position will oversee the management of the division which provides interpretation, translation, translation-related, and editorial services in multiple languages. Languages include English, Arabic, Chinese, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian and Slavic languages, Spanish, and approximately 40 other languages on an as-needed basis.
Key Duties and Responsabilities
- Plans, organizes, and coordinates all operational translation, interpretation and editorial activities in the division.
- Leads, manages and supervises the work of the Chief Interpreter, Chief Translator and all the Section Chiefs of the division, assesses their training needs, as well as monitors and evaluates their performance. Contributes to the supervision of staff in language sections; participates in the evaluation of their performance and training needs and recommends personnel actions to the Deputy Director and the Senior Personnel Manager.
- Ensures that the division produces a high-quality output within available resources by making the best use of its human and technological assets and by monitoring and implementing efficiency targets. Consults closely with senior management on the budgetary and financial impacts of the division’s operations. Promotes the sharing of best practices across sections in the translation, interpretation and editorial areas.
- Advises the department and LS staff on translation and interpretation-related issues and policies.
- Monitors best practices in the industry and, as appropriate, liaises with counterparts in other organizations. Proactively explores ways to leverage and implement technological advances to streamline and optimize productivity of the language services teams.
- May perform translation, revision and/or review, or interpret, when appropriate.
- May represent LS, as needed, in IMF-wide working groups.
The successful candidate should have an advanced university degree in linguistics, translation, interpretation, or a related field of study plus at least 15 years of progressively responsible professional experience ideally in a complex, multinational organization; demonstrated intellectual leadership, and the capacity to lead teams of highly motivated and capable staff.
Prior managerial experience in the operation of a complex, multi-functional language services unit is desirable. High level of written and spoken proficiency in one or more of the languages covered by the division is necessary. Knowledge of other languages would be an asset.
Substantial proven experience in interpretation or translation and revision preferably in a field related to the IMF's activities. Experience in printed and web publication production would be a plus. Demonstrated familiarity with current events in the IMF's areas of work.
Strong management, administrative, and interpersonal skills, as well as effective communications skills. Significant experience in managing and successfully supervising units with a high volume of work and very short deadline requirements. Proven ability to manage a complement of contractual and vendor (freelance) employees to supplement staff resources. Ability to manage a mix of in-house staff and budget resources in the most efficient way to achieve division’s goals within CSF's overall service provision strategy. Ability to work under pressure and to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Decisiveness, coupled with the ability to determine and shift priorities quickly and to resolve resource needs. Ability to establish and maintain contacts with language services in other organizations.
Ability to lead, supervise, assess, and develop a team of professionals and support staff, to delegate work and responsibilities appropriately, to motivate individual performance and to foster team spirit.
Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with IMF staff and officials at all levels in a multicultural setting.